The San Diego Museum of Man's mission is to inspire human connections by exploring the human experience. We aim to hold a space for discourse on topics that matter and a place where we keep the fun in profundity. The Museum, housed in an architectural gem at the heart of Balboa Park, is open 362 days each year. Our staff demonstrates great flexibility, generosity, kindness, humor, excellent judgment, and attention to detail. We love our community, our visitors and our team! Commitment to a team approach is a must and a clear perspective is appreciated. If you like being around hard-working, welcoming, appreciative idealists with no shortage of opinions, please join us. Be part of making our community better by working in a museum that aims to be part of the solution.
Description: Visitor Experience Associate
The Visitor Experience Associate performs a wide variety of customer service, protective, and courtesy duties including welcoming visitors, selling museum admission and memberships, and providing information about exhibitions and programs. This role serves as an integral member of our Museum and must be able to interact with the general public, have experience in customer service, and possess the ability to multi-task. This role is also responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for visitors, staff, and cultural resources. This position is 3-4 days a week with additional on-call availability, roughly 20-29 hours per week, and includes weekends, evenings, and holiday hours.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Visitor Experience Manager, the Visitor Experience Associate performs the following:
• Welcomes visitors to the Museum in a friendly and warm manner; employs customer service best practices with visitors, staff and vendors.
• Monitors assigned areas within the Museum, Museum grounds, and closed circuit TV to observe, caution, instruct, correct, investigate, and report activities to maintain order and protect Museum visitors, staff, cultural resources and exhibits.
• Responds to emergency situations such as fire, evacuation plan implementation, or employee/visitor injuries.
• Promotes the Museum’s programs, events, and exhibits, and provides information regarding the Museum and Balboa Park to our Visitors.
• Initiates and completes sales transactions with visitors. This includes suggestive selling, order accuracy, receipt printing, and processing cash, checks and credit card transactions.
• Answers questions and provides information concerning upcoming events.
• Confirms that end of the day transaction reports are correct.
• May perform limited emergency first-aid treatment or administer AED.
• Prepares required security reports that document actions taken while on duty.
• Collaborates with other Visitor Experience Associates and Gallery Educators to enhance visitor experience, including staffing after-hours events at the Museum.
• Maintains displays, rack cards, stickers, tickets and other supplies in the Museum lobby and ticketing areas.
• Reports facilities, exhibits and software issues as instructed to ensure timely resolution and contribute to a high quality experience for Visitors.
• Maintains knowledge of current policies and procedures.
• Responds to requests for assistance and evaluate appropriate courses of action.
• Participate in all required training programs.
• Performs other duties as assigned, including assisting with retail inventory, upkeep of Store displays, and other sales-related functions.
Experience, Education, or Skills Required:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• A minimum of one year’s experience in sales, customer service, and cash handling required.
• Excellent oral communication, customer service, and public engagement skills; enjoys working with people.
• Experience working with diverse groups of Visitors, flexibility for the changing needs of each day, and the capability to handle a fast-paced environment while providing a quality visitor experience.
• Ability to maintain emotional control and follow proper protocols/procedures in responding to emergency situations.
• CPR/AED certified.
• Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays required.
• Familiarity with museum operations/environment
• Minimum of one year of experience in security, and applicable training/certifications
• First aid certified
• California Guard Card
• Open/flexible availability
• Regular standing for long periods of time, both indoors and out, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, balancing, crouching, stooping, and communication (talking/hearing).
• Occasional lifting/moving up to 30 lbs.
• Vision requirements include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
• Noise conditions range from quiet to moderate noise.
How to Apply:
The San Diego Museum of Man is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace. Please send a cover letter and resume with “Visitor Experience Associate” and your first initial and last name in the subject line.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers