About Francis Parker School:
Francis Parker School is a coeducational independent day school in San Diego, California with 1300 students in grades JK-12. Founded in 1912, the school’s mission is “to create and inspire a diverse community of independent thinkers whose academic excellence, global perspective and strength of character prepare them to make a meaningful difference in the world”.
Overlooking Mission Valley, two separate campuses serve students in Lower School – junior kindergarten through 5th grade; Middle School – 6th grade through 8th grade and Upper School – 9th grade through 12th grade. As a college preparatory school Parker offers a comprehensive program that includes twenty-five advanced placement courses as well as a rich palette of electives – all designed to meet the individual needs of our students.
Francis Parker School seeks an enthusiastic, creative, and collaborative individual to serve as Library Assistant on the Linda Vista Campus. The Library Assistant is considered an integral part of the Linda Vista Campus Library. A passion for working with students and a willingness to learn are a must. Experience working in a library setting is a plus but not required. In addition to supporting students and faculty with their teaching and learning needs, we are looking for an individual that will foster a love of reading across campus.
This position requires a commitment to work from August 22, 2019- June 19, 2020 (Monday – Friday excluding school breaks). We are hiring for 1 full-time position. The full-time hours are 8:30am-5:00pm.
The Middle School, which includes grades 6-8 and enrolls 300+ students, is a lively and dynamic place. True to the vision of the school’s namesake, Colonel Francis W. Parker, the Middle School emphasizes the importance of learning through doing. A rigorous curriculum guided by a passionate and caring faculty nurtures in students a lifelong love of learning.
The Upper School, which includes grades 9-12 and enrolls 500+ students, is a rigorous and supportive academic environment focused on preparing students for intellectual engagement while in high school and in the years beyond. Building on the work of the Lower and Middle Schools, the Upper School emphasizes academic achievement, global citizenship, and strength of character in order to prepare students to make a meaningful difference in the world.
• Build and maintain professional relationships with faculty and students
• Work alongside Librarian to support Middle and Upper School curricular needs,
• Demonstrate for patrons how to navigate Library's electronic and print resources
• Answer basic reference questions, consulting with the Librarian for more complex questions and information needs
• Assist Librarian in collection development activities, including procuring new materials, conducting inventories of collection, and weeding existing collection
• Oversee the processing of new materials
• Check in and shelve print materials
• Prepare monthly usage statistics of online databases
• Organize displays showcasing Library resources
• Troubleshoot issues with printers and PC/Mac devices that may arise
• Monitor student behavior and use of the Library
• Able to work with frequent interruptions and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Librarian
• Undergraduate degree preferred; MLS/MLIS candidates encouraged to apply
• Strong communication and organizational skills
• Experience working with Middle and High school age students
• Previous library experience preferred
Salary and Benefits:
Francis Parker School is committed to attracting and retaining the highest quality faculty and staff through a substantial compensation plan, including competitive salary, TIAA retirement benefits and full medical/dental coverage This Library Assistant position is paid hourly ($14 - $15) and rate is determined depending on experience and educational background.
Francis Parker School values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty, and staff from different backgrounds. All employment decisions are made without regard to unlawful considerations of race, color, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, creed, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
A cover letter, resume, transcripts and application should be submitted electronically to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers