compensation: $30/hour TBD based on experience employment type: part-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
To increase its impact and reach and to ensure its sustainable growth and longevity, San Diego Architectural Foundation (SDAF) is seeking a part-time Director of Communications. This is a new role that is intended to consolidate various communications-related responsibilities into one position to provide more streamlined and cohesive communications for the organization. The position will have overall responsibility for developing and executing communications strategies to support the growth of SDAF and its mission.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of success in a PR/marketing/communications role in the non-profit sector or within the arts/architecture/design profession. The ability to work both independently and collaboratively is important, along with creativity, a sense of humor and a desire to have fun with what you do.
This role is a contract position working part-time (approx. 15 hours per week expected) commencing on or before December 1, 2019. The role will take primary direction from the Director of Development, reporting to the SDAF Board of Directors (BOD), President and Vice-President.
Initial Responsibilities will include:
• Work with the Director of Development and designated Board member(s) to develop a Strategic Communication Plan for Board approval. The plan will include:
o Identifying the target audience; key messaging; brand attributes, tone of voice, etc; and communications goals, aligned with fundraising strategies and event promotion
o Developing Annual Communications calendar, including public relations, social media, emails, newsletters, print collateral, web content, etc.
o Identifying metrics for measuring the success of communication strategies
• Identify any needed third party resources to execute on the Strategic Communications Plan
• Work with Director of Development and designated Board members to conduct a website audit, and update content as needed
On-going Responsibilities will include:
• Implement communications strategy, either working independently or managing additional resources to be engaged with approval of Board of Directors. This includes:
o Posting to social media (Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn)
o Drafting press releases, maintaining relationships with media outlets, and tracking media placements
o Creating and sending regular e-blasts and e-newsletters, including targeted communications (SDAF currently uses Wild Apricot software)
o Designing and producing print collateral and/or electronic collateral to support programs and events (i.e., sponsorship packets, event guides, programs, etc.) and SDAF as a whole (i.e., annual report)
o Updating website content (WordPress)
• Responsible for prioritizing and executing on communications requests, ensuring brand and mission-alignment and alignment with fundraising strategies
• Collaborate with Program Chairs and Director of Development to determine the most impactful communication strategy to convey program and event interests while also bringing visibility to SDAF as a whole
• Analyze audience engagement in terms of open rates, click throughs, unsubscribes and opt-outs, revise communication strategy where necessary to be responsive to analytics and engage with the widest audience possible
• Attend monthly Executive Committee meetings and Board of Directors meetings and provide update reports on communications goals and results
Skills and Experience:
• Ability to establish priorities and manage multiple project simultaneously
• Proficiency with Wild Apricot or similar membership database software program
• Proficiency with WordPress
• Graphic design skills
• Minimum 2 years marketing communications/public relations experience
• Experience working with non-profits preferred
• Event planning experience a plus (with potential for additional hours)
This is a part-time independent contractor position, budgeted for approx. 60 hours/month, hourly rate TBD commensurate with experience. Candidate will be expected to provide his/her own workspace and tools, including computer, printer, and cell phone. Office supplies and other approved work-related expenses such as mileage, will be reimbursed.
Submit resume, relevant work samples (up to 3), and cover letter by 12:00 noon on Friday, November 22, 2019 Anticipated start date is December 1, 2019.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers