compensation: DOE employment type: contract non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Exciting Opportunity at Francis Parker School in San Diego, California
Francis Parker School is seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated, and passionate educator who shares its core values: Students First, Academic Excellence, Global Perspective, Strength of Character, Inclusive Community, and No Limit to Better. Collegial and collaborative, Parker faculty create a learning environment that is dynamic and engaging. Parker faculty are content and pedagogical experts who invest in professional growth generously supported by the School. Importantly, Parker's unswerving commitment to being a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community creates a culture of respect for all.
If Parker's values and school culture resonate with you, we encourage you to consider this opportunity.
About Francis Parker School:
Francis Parker School is a coeducational independent day school in San Diego, California with 1275 students in grades JK-12. Founded in 1912, the school's mission is "To create and inspire a diverse community of independent thinkers whose academic excellence, global perspective and strength of character prepare them to make a meaningful difference in the world."
Overlooking Mission Valley, two separate campuses serve students in Lower School - junior kindergarten through 5th grade; Middle School - 6th grade through 8th grade and Upper School - 9th grade through 12th grade. As a college preparatory school Parker offers a comprehensive program that includes twenty-five advanced placement courses as well as a rich palette of electives - all designed to meet the individual needs of our students.
Statement of Position: The 6-12 Drama club is looking for a Music Director/Vocal Coach to support our season of productions. A candidate with a degree in voice and/or music along with experience in musical theatre productions at the Middle and High School level is preferred. Experience working with choral groups is a plus. The ideal candidate will have a superior ability to play the piano, transpose music for the adolescent voice, an ability to coach, cue and conduct vocalists and instrumentalists, experience working on production teams, effective interpersonal relationship skills, and effective organizational skills.
Performances take place on the school campus on weeknights and weekends. Our school typically presents two to three musicals during the season. (Example of shows presented recently: Pippin, Shrek, Elf, Little Shop of Horrors, Into the Woods, Carrie, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee)
The successful candidate will fulfill the following duties:
• Assist the director with auditions, casting decisions, staging, and production
• Conduct small group and large group practice
• Coordinate music rehearsals with the overall rehearsal schedule
• Arrange musical accompaniment if needed, including the audition of additional musicians
• Select and use musical recordings if needed
• Transpose or transcribe musical score as needed
• Accompany and/or conduct all rehearsals, tech week, and performances
• Instruct students in proper breathing technique
• Instruct students in proper diction
• Encourage students in a positive manner
• Be professional and respectful of students, staff, and parents/guardians
• Work collaboratively with a broad and diverse group of adults
Hours needed will be determined in conversation with the division heads, department chair, and director, and will also be dependent on the scale of the production, size of the cast, and number of weeks of rehearsal and production.
• Must have superior piano skills
• Must possess a knowledge of vocal instruction and technique
• Must pass all background checks
A cover letter and resume should be submitted electronically to:
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers